Netflix and YouTube consume over 50% of fixed network data

Netflix and YouTube consume over 50% of fixed network data in North America

Netflix

Netflix

 Netflix and YouTube together are responsible for the majority of peak fixed network data in North America, according to the “Global Internet Phenomena Report 2H2013“ report by Sandvine. Netflix is the top service based on peak fixed network downstream data at 31.62%.  YouTube is in second place at 18.69%. This means that the two video websites account for a combined 50.31% in downstream traffic within North America. The Internet video-subscription service, with more than 31 million streaming members in the U.S. alone, uses nearly 20 times more peak-period bandwidth than Amazon video, which has 1.6% share, and is 24 times bigger than Hulu (at 1.3%), according to the study by network-equipment maker Sandvine.

 

 

Youtube

Youtube

In other parts of the world, YouTube is the biggest consumer of bandwidth. In Europe, YouTube represented of 28.7% of downstream traffic (followed by the web at 15.6%). In Latin America, YouTube’s downstream share is 36.8% (followed by web browsing at 20%) and in Asia-Pacific, YouTube represents 31.2% (followed by BitTorrent 14.3% and web at 10.5%).

Pandora is the leading streaming audio service. ”[Pandora's] share of downstream traffic over a 24-hour period (5.5%) is actually higher than peak period (5%). This phenomenon is likely due to subscribers using the service consistently throughout the day, while some other applications may have their usage concentrated during peak period,” said Sandvine in the report.

Instagram and Dropbox are now the top-ranked applications in many regions across the world.  For example, Instagram is the 7th largest downstream application on mobile networks in Latin America largely due to the introduction of video sharing four months ago. Dropbox is the 7th largest upstream application during peak periods in Europe.

 

Top 10 Peak Period Applications Based On Fixed Access In North America, Credit: Sandvine.com

Top 10 Peak Period Applications Based On Fixed Access In North America, Credit: Sandvine.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The data for Sandvine’s “Global Internet Phenomena Report 2H2013? report was compiled in September 2013 from a subset of the company’s 250-plus service provider customers across North America, the Middle East, Africa, the Caribbean, Latin America, and the Asia-Pacific.

 

0 comments